Thursday, July 1, 2010

Our Garden

One of the many projects we have been trying to tackle is building a small patio garden. I started sowing seeds within about a week of moving in, and they went nuts, germinating within a few days! So Tim built a raised bed planter, and we got some old whiskey barrels and pots to plant everything in. We had no idea how much time and effort goes into even the smallest of gardens. I did a lot of research on which vegetables grow best in our climate (luckily that's pretty much everything) and how to plant accordingly, north to south, vegetable pairings, etc. There were so many options of what to plant, but we ended up growing vegetables that would allow for us to have fresh salads (and more) each week. Here's what we have growing:

Romaine, bronze leaf, loose leaf lettuce. Green onions, chives, white cooking onions. Spinach, zucchini, cucumbers, hmmmm oh yes, bell peppers and chili's. Heirloom, beefsteak and cherry tomatoes. I think that's about it. In addition to the mandarin oranges, lemons, and another type of orange tree that were already here when we moved in.

It's been a lot of work and I find myself to be a slave to the garden every day. I also have more seeds germinating so I am constantly hovering over them to make sure they grow well. We are working towards a drip system, and it's installed, just have a few kinks to work out. So I have been watering by hand everyday.............. Here are a few picks!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...